The Great Molasses Flood of 1919
Sqwertz
2014-01-17 05:26:14 UTC
It's the 95th anniversary of the Great Molasses Flood of 1919 in
Boston that killed 21 people and injured hundreds more:

"More than 7.5 million liters of molasses surged through Boston's
North End at around 55 kilometers per hour in a wave about 7.5 meters
high and 50 meters wide at its peak. All that thick syrup ripped apart
the apart the cylindrical tank that once held it, throwing slivers of
steel and large rivets in all directions. The deluge crushed freight
cars, tore Engine 31 firehouse from its foundation and, when it
reached an elevated railway on Atlantic Avenue, nearly lifted a train
right off the tracks. A chest-deep river of molasses stretched from
the base of the tank about 90 meters into the streets. From there, it
thinned out into a coating one half to one meter deep. People, horses
and dogs caught in the mess struggled to escape, only sinking
further."

Read the entire story at:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=molasses-flood-physics-science

But I wonder why every account of the story that I've read, all the
measurements are metric. Was it commonplace to the metric system in
1919 Boston?

-sw
Julie Bove
I wouldn't think so.
Alan Holbrook
2014-01-17 11:45:09 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Sqwertz
It's the 95th anniversary of the Great Molasses Flood of 1919 in
"More than 7.5 million liters of molasses surged through Boston's
North End at around 55 kilometers per hour in a wave about 7.5 meters
high and 50 meters wide at its peak. All that thick syrup ripped
apart the apart the cylindrical tank that once held it, throwing
slivers of steel and large rivets in all directions. The deluge
crushed freight cars, tore Engine 31 firehouse from its foundation
and, when it reached an elevated railway on Atlantic Avenue, nearly
lifted a train right off the tracks. A chest-deep river of molasses
stretched from the base of the tank about 90 meters into the streets.
From there, it thinned out into a coating one half to one meter deep.
People, horses and dogs caught in the mess struggled to escape, only
sinking further."
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=molasses-flood-physic
s-science
But I wonder why every account of the story that I've read, all the
measurements are metric. Was it commonplace to the metric system in
1919 Boston?
-sw
I wouldn't think so.
My son's classroom teacher (5th grade, late 1990's)told the class that on
hot days in that part of Boston, you could still detect the smell of
molasses. We live just a few miles north of Boston and are in the city
fairly often. We've smelled some interesting things in the North End,
like a variety of Italian foods coming from the dozens of Italian
restaurants in the area, and fresh baked rum cake and cannolis, but never
molasses...
Jean B.
2014-01-19 05:56:56 UTC
Post by Alan Holbrook
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Sqwertz
It's the 95th anniversary of the Great Molasses Flood of 1919 in
"More than 7.5 million liters of molasses surged through Boston's
North End at around 55 kilometers per hour in a wave about 7.5 meters
high and 50 meters wide at its peak. All that thick syrup ripped
apart the apart the cylindrical tank that once held it, throwing
slivers of steel and large rivets in all directions. The deluge
crushed freight cars, tore Engine 31 firehouse from its foundation
and, when it reached an elevated railway on Atlantic Avenue, nearly
lifted a train right off the tracks. A chest-deep river of molasses
stretched from the base of the tank about 90 meters into the streets.
From there, it thinned out into a coating one half to one meter deep.
[...]
I live near Boston and have spent much time there. I have never smelled
even the faintest hint of molasses. Some people have overactive
imaginations.

As for the original question, not many people left to ask. Probably no
on, given the age at the time of anyone who was alive both then and now.
It seems unlikely though.

Jean B.
Sqwertz
2014-01-19 06:15:15 UTC
Post by Jean B.
As for the original question, not many people left to ask. Probably no
on, given the age at the time of anyone who was alive both then and now.
It seems unlikely though.
Apparently there was a half-hearted big push to adopt metric around
that time. Several industries in and around New England were trying
to promote it. But it still seems inappropriate for news stories.

I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that I'll probably never
know the answer to this insignificant mystery <sigh>.

-sw
Big Trig
2014-01-19 18:13:13 UTC
Oh press on troll, press on...
gtr
Drop a line to Ferris Jabr.
Jean B.
2014-01-22 02:36:08 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Post by Jean B.
As for the original question, not many people left to ask. Probably no
on, given the age at the time of anyone who was alive both then and now.
It seems unlikely though.
Apparently there was a half-hearted big push to adopt metric around
that time. Several industries in and around New England were trying
to promote it. But it still seems inappropriate for news stories.
I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that I'll probably never
know the answer to this insignificant mystery<sigh>.
-sw
I was trying to see what was said in old books, only to find there was a
dearth of such books online. I might remember to snoop into this a bit
more.

Those pushes toward metric sure haven;t succeeded with the general
population. My daughter was taught in metric, to some degree, and at
one point I thought she would be, um, biwhatever, but it seems not to
have stuck.

Jean B.
Julie Bove
2014-01-22 05:31:55 UTC
Post by Jean B.
Post by Sqwertz
Post by Jean B.
[...]
They still teach it in school but early on. Not sure that my daughter even
remembers it.
Jean B.
2014-02-13 02:05:27 UTC
Post by Jean B.
Post by Sqwertz
[...]
I wonder why this just fizzles? On a personal level, I am just as
happy that I don't have to make the transition. BUT setting that aside,
it is pretty silly to remain out of step with almost all (or is it all?)
the rest of the world.

Jean B.
Tracy
2014-01-17 14:19:55 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
[...]
I saw this the other day - oddly enough - on a cocktail blog.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/blogs/cocktail/2013/01/molasses_flood_1919.html

I imagine Scientific American uses the metric system by default.

Tracy
Sqwertz
2014-01-17 16:16:00 UTC
Post by Tracy
Post by Sqwertz
But I wonder why every account of the story that I've read, all the
measurements are metric. Was it commonplace to the metric system in
1919 Boston?
I imagine Scientific American uses the metric system by default.
All the accounts I read were in metric except for Wiki, who translated
them into U.S. measurements but still kept the metric as well. But
looking at the article history, the Wiki also was originally written
in metric - 7 years before the Scientific American article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Molasses_Disaster

I suspect at some point, long ago, the major accounts of the events
were written in metric (but why?), and that's what everybody kept
quoting in more recent articles. For such a purely American disaster,
it's unpatriotic [waving flag] - and especially for a magazine calling
itself Scientific AMERICAN. But at least they didn't call it
treacle! ;-)

-sw
Big Trig
2014-01-17 18:47:10 UTC
Whose flag?
Cindy Hamilton
2014-01-20 18:06:58 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Post by Tracy
Post by Sqwertz
[...]
Apparently, science is more important to the editors of Sci. Am.

You do know, don't you, that metric is the default standard in
science?

Cindy Hamilton
gtr
2014-01-20 19:04:03 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by Sqwertz
Post by Tracy
Post by Sqwertz
[...]
Editors put together their very own personal AMERICAN style sheet for
each publication, and arrive at their own *independent* AMERICAN
approach to how they want to do that. So there are a lot of ways to
pursue the concept of AMERICAN.
Sqwertz
2014-01-20 19:30:47 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by Sqwertz
Post by Tracy
Post by Sqwertz
[...]
And as I just got done explaining (twice) that the SciAm article is
only one of a dozen accounts I've read that were in metric - the SciAm
article being the most recent of all the accounts.

-sw
Big Trig
2014-01-17 18:51:55 UTC
Are you fer friggin' real?
Jeßus
2014-01-17 21:54:27 UTC
So sad... all that potential rum wasted...
gtr
2014-01-19 20:04:57 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=molasses-flood-physics-science
But I wonder why every account of the story that I've read, all the
measurements are metric. Was it commonplace to the metric system in
1919 Boston?
I assume it's the way Ferris Jabr, who wrote the article, thought it
best to describe the events. Maybe he culled some of his initial
resource from European journals and/or records.

A bigger mystery to me is why I can't get any molasses in places that
sell pancakes. I have to bring my own or use other stuff.
Cindy Hamilton
2014-01-20 18:05:41 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
[...]
Scientific American probably uses SI as a matter of course.
What other accounts have you read? I see that Wikipedia uses
both feet and meters in reporting the story.

Cindy Hamilton
Jack Campin
2014-03-04 00:57:16 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
It's the 95th anniversary of the Great Molasses Flood of 1919 in
Boston that killed 21 people and injured hundreds more: [...]
But I wonder why every account of the story that I've read, all the
measurements are metric. Was it commonplace to the metric system in
1919 Boston?
Stephen Puleo's book "Dark Tide" (which I have) uses tons and gallons,
and so do all the newspaper reports of the time that he quotes. The
only metric units he uses are for money.

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin