Happy Sliced Bread Day!
Opinicus
2009-07-07 04:06:51 UTC
2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...

<quote>
1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
</quote>

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
Jan Hyde
2009-07-07 07:59:55 UTC
Opinicus <***@spamcop.net.which.is.not.invalid>'s wild
thoughts were released on Tue, 07 Jul 2009 07:06:51 +0300
Post by Opinicus
2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
<quote>
1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
</quote>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
Surely it should be 'the first automatically sliced bread'.
I'm certain sliced bread was achieved before that via the
use of a knife ;-)

Jan Hyde
Hatunen
2009-07-07 20:45:56 UTC
Post by Opinicus
2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
<quote>
1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
</quote>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
Surely it should be 'the first automatically sliced bread'.
I'm certain sliced bread was achieved before that via the
use of a knife ;-)
Notice that his quote does not preclude your qualification, the
former being a factory/bakery process and the latter an end-user
process.

When I was a wee tad around 1940 my family normally bought bread
at a neighborhood bakery, and it would be unsliced unless you
asked for sliced. The bakery had a machine that fascinated me by
cutting an entire loaf into slices at once.
--
************* DAVE HATUNEN (***@cox.net) *************
Jerry Avins
2009-07-07 21:17:12 UTC
Post by Opinicus
[...]
My corner bakery had a machine with a lead screw that fed the loaf into
the spinning blade one CHOMP at a time. The slice thickness was adjustable.

Jerry
Arri London
2009-07-09 00:10:17 UTC
Post by Opinicus
[...]
Larger UK supermarkets still have slicing machines for the customers to
use. Properly shielded of course.
tsuidf
2009-07-20 20:00:57 UTC
Post by Opinicus
[...]
Our nearest mini-supermarket still has one of those.

cheers,
Stephanie
in Brussels
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2009-07-23 16:00:37 UTC
Post by tsuidf
Post by Hatunen
On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:59:55 +0100, Jan Hyde
[ ... ]
When I was a wee tad around 1940 my family normally bought bread
at a neighborhood bakery, and it would be unsliced unless you
asked for sliced. The bakery had a machine that fascinated me by
cutting an entire loaf into slices at once.
Our nearest mini-supermarket still has one of those.
So does our local bakery. Probably that just reflects the fact that in
France (and doubtless Belgium) sliced bread is nowhere near as popular
as it is in English-speaking countries. Sliced bread is definitely
regarded as inferior for most purposes and is only sliced in a real
bakery if you want to spread foie gras on it, and then it's sliced at
the moment you buy it, not before.
athel
Chris R
2009-07-23 16:30:54 UTC
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by tsuidf
Post by Hatunen
When I was a wee tad around 1940 my family normally bought bread
at a neighborhood bakery, and it would be unsliced unless you
asked for sliced. The bakery had a machine that fascinated me by
cutting an entire loaf into slices at once.
Our nearest mini-supermarket still has one of those.
So does our local bakery. Probably that just reflects the fact that in
France (and doubtless Belgium) sliced bread is nowhere near as popular
as it is in English-speaking countries. Sliced bread is definitely
regarded as inferior for most purposes and is only sliced in a real
bakery if you want to spread foie gras on it, and then it's sliced at
the moment you buy it, not before.
From what I can recall of my youth in Belgium, sliced bread was far more
prevalent than it is in France, with sandwiches ("tartines") being made with
it, as opposed to the French baguette. I remember the local bakery
machine-slicing the loaves as they were sold. This in the 1960s.

Chris R
Jerry Avins
2009-07-23 16:56:06 UTC
Post by tsuidf
Post by Hatunen
When I was a wee tad around 1940 my family normally bought bread
at a neighborhood bakery, and it would be unsliced unless you
asked for sliced. The bakery had a machine that fascinated me by
cutting an entire loaf into slices at once.
Our nearest mini-supermarket still has one of those.
So does our local bakery. Probably that just reflects the fact that in
France (and doubtless Belgium) sliced bread is nowhere near as popular
as it is in English-speaking countries. Sliced bread is definitely
regarded as inferior for most purposes and is only sliced in a real
bakery if you want to spread foie gras on it, and then it's sliced at
the moment you buy it, not before.
From what I can recall of my youth in Belgium, sliced bread was far more
prevalent than it is in France, with sandwiches ("tartines") being made with
it, as opposed to the French baguette. I remember the local bakery
machine-slicing the loaves as they were sold. This in the 1960s.
All the local -- read "family owned" -- bakeries I have shopped at since
the 1940s have had slicing machines. I already mentioned the one from
the 40s and 50s that cut a slice at a time, advancing the loaf with an
intermittent lead screw. All since then have had parallel reciprocating
blades. I get hard-crust ("Jewish") rye at a small bakery in New
Brunswick, NJ. New clerks are always surprised when I ask that it not be
sliced.

Jerry
tony cooper
2009-07-23 16:39:45 UTC
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:00:37 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by tsuidf
Post by Hatunen
On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:59:55 +0100, Jan Hyde
[ ... ]
When I was a wee tad around 1940 my family normally bought bread
at a neighborhood bakery, and it would be unsliced unless you
asked for sliced. The bakery had a machine that fascinated me by
cutting an entire loaf into slices at once.
Our nearest mini-supermarket still has one of those.
So does our local bakery. Probably that just reflects the fact that in
France (and doubtless Belgium) sliced bread is nowhere near as popular
as it is in English-speaking countries. Sliced bread is definitely
regarded as inferior for most purposes and is only sliced in a real
bakery if you want to spread foie gras on it, and then it's sliced at
the moment you buy it, not before.
Publix supermarkets have bread slicing machines. The bakery counter
sells whole loaves of bread, and the customer has the choice of either
taking it as-is or having it sliced for them. My wife sometimes has a
loaf cut in half, and one-half sliced. The remaining half stays
fresher until we have used the sliced half.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Jean B.
2009-07-12 15:35:25 UTC
Post by Opinicus
2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
<quote>
1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
</quote>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
thing overall.
Jean B.
Wayne Boatwright
2009-07-15 11:05:00 UTC
On Sun 12 Jul 2009 08:35:25a, Jean B. told us...
Post by Jean B.
Post by Opinicus
2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
<quote>
1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
</quote>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
thing overall.
Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.

I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but with
much wider slices.
--
Wayne Boatwright
We plan, we toil, we suffer in the hope of what? A camel load
time to smell coffee and bacon and eggs. ~J.B. Priestly
Bob Muncie
2009-07-15 20:07:24 UTC
Post by Jean B.
Post by Opinicus
2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
<quote>
1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
</quote>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
thing overall.
Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.
I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but with
much wider slices.
Wayne - I have seen such a critter, but it was not something worth
purchasing since it would change a "two day freshness" to one day.

Bob
Arri London
2009-07-16 00:21:15 UTC
Post by Jean B.
Post by Opinicus
2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
<quote>
1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
</quote>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
thing overall.
Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.
I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but with
much wider slices.
Our Krups slicer has adjustable thickness for slices. We use it all the
time for my homemade bread. The Maternal Unit likes it very thin, while
my preference is for much thicker slices. Obviously it wasn't cheap but
it's been in use for about 15 years if not more.
Wayne Boatwright
2009-07-16 05:38:49 UTC
Post by Jean B.
Post by Opinicus
[...]
I don't own a slicer, but that's a great idea. It never occurred to me to
use a regular circular slicer for bread. Duh!

There was a now defunct bakery in Cleveland that produced excellent bread
for sale both in their bakery shops and as packaged breads in better
supermarkets. They used to produce a firm loaf of white bread sliced
somewhere betwen 1/8 and 3/16 inch thick, which made it ideal for making
homemade melba toast. I used to make it frequently, using various flavored
butters, sometimes sprinkled with sesame or poppy seeds, etc. I miss
having that source. I could see the value of a slicer at home.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers? Author Unknown
Arri London
2009-07-16 23:58:40 UTC
Post by Arri London
Our Krups slicer has adjustable thickness for slices. We use it all the
time for my homemade bread. The Maternal Unit likes it very thin, while
my preference is for much thicker slices. Obviously it wasn't cheap but
it's been in use for about 15 years if not more.
I don't own a slicer, but that's a great idea. It never occurred to me to
use a regular circular slicer for bread. Duh!
LOL. Works fine for both bread and meat.
Post by Wayne Boatwright
There was a now defunct bakery in Cleveland that produced excellent bread
for sale both in their bakery shops and as packaged breads in better
supermarkets. They used to produce a firm loaf of white bread sliced
somewhere betwen 1/8 and 3/16 inch thick, which made it ideal for making
homemade melba toast. I used to make it frequently, using various flavored
butters, sometimes sprinkled with sesame or poppy seeds, etc. I miss
having that source. I could see the value of a slicer at home.
All my relatives have one. Would be strange for us not to have one.

Used to live in Cleveland. Lot of good food there in the past. No idea
what it's like these days.

Wayne Boatwright
2009-07-18 06:45:15 UTC
Post by Wayne Boatwright
There was a now defunct bakery in Cleveland that produced excellent
bread for sale both in their bakery shops and as packaged breads in
better supermarkets. They used to produce a firm loaf of white bread
sliced somewhere betwen 1/8 and 3/16 inch thick, which made it ideal
for making homemade melba toast. I used to make it frequently, using
various flavored butters, sometimes sprinkled with sesame or poppy
seeds, etc. I miss having that source. I could see the value of a
slicer at home.
All my relatives have one. Would be strange for us not to have one.
Used to live in Cleveland. Lot of good food there in the past. No idea
what it's like these days.
Yes, there was a lot of good food in Cleveland, particularly European
ethnic. I loved shopping at the West Side Market. I haven't been back
since 2001. A lot could have changed since then.

I think I may be looking for a slicer in the near future...
--
Wayne Boatwright
My soul is dark with stormy riot, Directly traceable to diet.
Samuel Hoffenstein
Arri London
2009-07-19 00:01:32 UTC
Post by Wayne Boatwright
There was a now defunct bakery in Cleveland that produced excellent
bread for sale both in their bakery shops and as packaged breads in
better supermarkets. They used to produce a firm loaf of white bread
sliced somewhere betwen 1/8 and 3/16 inch thick, which made it ideal
for making homemade melba toast. I used to make it frequently, using
various flavored butters, sometimes sprinkled with sesame or poppy
seeds, etc. I miss having that source. I could see the value of a
slicer at home.
All my relatives have one. Would be strange for us not to have one.
Used to live in Cleveland. Lot of good food there in the past. No idea
what it's like these days.
Yes, there was a lot of good food in Cleveland, particularly European
ethnic. I loved shopping at the West Side Market. I haven't been back
since 2001. A lot could have changed since then.
Left before that. But yes the West Side Market is a classic. Saturday
afternoons was a great time to shop. Always got extra bits thrown in
since the Market was closed Sunday. Ahhhhh that wonderful Hungarian-type
sausage and butter and bacon and and and....
Post by Wayne Boatwright
I think I may be looking for a slicer in the near future...
Whatever one you choose, make certain it comes apart completely for
cleaning.
Wayne Boatwright
2009-07-19 05:16:08 UTC
Post by Wayne Boatwright
[...]
Indeed...
Post by Arri London
Post by Wayne Boatwright
I think I may be looking for a slicer in the near future...
Whatever one you choose, make certain it comes apart completely for
cleaning.
Good point. I'll remember.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Recipe: A series of step by step instructions for preparing
dish the dog wouldn't eat. Author Unknown
Jean B.
2009-07-16 00:17:29 UTC
Post by Jean B.
Post by Opinicus
2009.07.07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page On this day...
<quote>
1928 – The Chillicothe Baking Company in Chillicothe, Missouri, USA,
first produced sliced bread, advertised as "the greatest forward step
in the baking industry since bread was wrapped", which then led to the
popular phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread".
</quote>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliced_bread
Maybe a great thing for the food industry, but not such a great
thing overall.
Not so much the slicing of it, but the quality of the bread itself.
I've often wished for a bread slicing machine for homemade loaves, but with
much wider slices.
Yes, I was thinking of the variety of bread and its quality. I
think the availability of the sliced bread in markets led folks
away from baking their own, and away from regional variations.
Jean B.
Wayne Boatwright
2009-07-16 05:31:51 UTC
Post by Jean B.
[...]