Garum -- anyone know a good substitute?
Bromo
2004-02-14 01:25:24 UTC
I am trying to put together a Roman dinner - and was wondering if anyone had
a good modern day substitute for Garum? I see that it is used all over the
place in the Roman diet - anyone know if anything comes close?
dolo
2004-02-14 02:00:52 UTC
Post by Bromo
I am trying to put together a Roman dinner - and was wondering if
anyone had a good modern day substitute for Garum? I see that it is
used all over the place in the Roman diet - anyone know if anything
comes close?
Nuoc mam or nam pla? Maybe with the addition of some oregano?
d:D
Bryan J. Maloney
I've read that Nuc Nam (Vietnamese) might be similar.
Frogleg
2004-02-14 10:38:20 UTC
Post by Bromo
I am trying to put together a Roman dinner - and was wondering if anyone had
a good modern day substitute for Garum? I see that it is used all over the
place in the Roman diet - anyone know if anything comes close?
Google is your friend:

http://www.foodreference.com/html/fgarum.html
Bromo

Liquimen - mmmmmMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm. :-/
GMAJaskol
2004-02-25 17:53:02 UTC
viet or thai fish sauce
Joe Conlon
2004-04-18 23:02:02 UTC
Nuc Mam is the Vietnamese version. I've used it in a lot of Roman recipes
with good results.
Joe Conlon
viet or thai fish sauce
Dr Pepper@iwvisp.com
2004-04-21 15:18:46 UTC
Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.

Ron C.
================================

viet or thai fish sauce
Richard Wright
2004-04-21 19:49:46 UTC
Post by Dr ***@iwvisp.com
Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.
Ron C.
I don't think so!

Stick with the Thai fish sauce.
Andrew Fenton
2004-04-21 23:03:31 UTC
Post by Richard Wright
Post by Dr ***@iwvisp.com
Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.
Ron C.
I don't think so!
Well, that's the legend, anyway. Romans exported garum to
India, and the British imported it back as Worcestershire.
(True? Probably not.)

SE Asian fish sauce isn't stinky enough to be a garum
substitute, anyway. There's at least one company in Italy
that makes the real stuff...

-Andrew
Rodney Myrvaagnes
2004-04-22 03:46:04 UTC
Post by Dr ***@iwvisp.com
Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.
Why not use garum? I have some here. I don't know how similar it is to
guoc nam (SP?).

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you
bogus address
2004-04-22 13:29:07 UTC
Post by Dr ***@iwvisp.com
Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.
No such thing.

No such place.

There is a Worcestershire but there's no sauce named after it, despite
what a lot of Americans say.

There is a "Worcester sauce" (named after the town, not the county)
but it's got a lot more than garum in it.

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.
Olivers
2004-04-22 14:41:58 UTC
bogus address muttered....
Post by bogus address
Post by Dr ***@iwvisp.com
Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.
No such thing.
No such place.
O, ye of little perspectif...

Au contraire. Messrs Lea & Perrins (or their corporate masters) produce
vast tank cars full of L&P "Original Worcestershire Sauce" for we benighted
'Merkins, and claim to have produced the only original version since 1835.
Post by bogus address
There is a Worcestershire but there's no sauce named after it, despite
what a lot of Americans say.
There is a "Worcester sauce" (named after the town, not the county)
but it's got a lot more than garum in it.
We have more "Worcesters" than of ever the Scuppered H'aislers or the puir
near-sighted Scots could have ever dreamed, even resorting to naming a
cruiser and class of ships after the Massachusetts version thereof. We
have no Worcestershire except the sauce itself, produced in a half dozen
brandnames, none as good as L&P, and even once in dry form, "David Wade's
Worscetershire Powder", actually quite good as a seasoning for prime
rib(standing rib) roast.

The best brands contain two key ingredients....anchovies, the heritage of
the original based on a SEAsian fish sauce, nam pla or whatever, and
tamarind pulp, a fruit flavoring of the Indian subcontinent and of all
places, Mexico, another hint that the Manilla Galleon carried more than
gold and sailed in two directions.

I surmise that the sauce as we know it represents a British recipe and
commercial bottling to imitate or compare with a condiment(s) familiar to
locals who had served in India/SEAsia.

Worcestershire Sauce remains a popular US table condiment and more
important and necessary ingredient in the Cajun pantry, required for
several notable Cajun recipes. Why? That's a good question, for there's
no historical basis for its use....

TMO
Kate Dicey
2004-04-22 15:38:33 UTC
Post by Olivers
bogus address muttered....
Post by bogus address
[...]
Here's a map to help you locate Worcestershire:
http://www.picturesofengland.com/mapofengland/counties-map.html

Worcester itself is an old historic city. However, WorcestershireSace
is made in Birmingham, which is a mess.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Olivers
2004-04-22 19:53:18 UTC
Kate Dicey muttered....
Post by Kate Dicey
http://www.picturesofengland.com/mapofengland/counties-map.html
Worcester itself is an old historic city.
Been there. Done that. And Worcester in Mass. too.
Post by Kate Dicey
However, WorcestershireSace
is made in Birmingham, which is a mess.
I think ours is made in Fairleigh, New Jersey, likely a town neither fair
nor deserving to be called "leigh".

TMO

Kate Dicey
2004-04-22 15:38:41 UTC
Post by Olivers
bogus address muttered....
Post by bogus address
[...]

Worcester itself is an old historic city. However, Worcestershire Sauce
Kate Dicey
2004-04-22 15:18:45 UTC
Post by bogus address
Post by Dr ***@iwvisp.com
Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.
No such thing.
No such place.
There is a Worcestershire but there's no sauce named after it, despite
what a lot of Americans say.
There is a "Worcester sauce" (named after the town, not the county)
but it's got a lot more than garum in it.
On the bottle it says The Original & Genuine Lea & Perrins
Worcestershire sauce'.

That's 'Worcestershire' pronouncested 'Wooster'! ;)